What is the direct method?
Our courses are based on the Direct Method and we use 'English designed with Direct Method' coursebooks published by Direct Language Lab. Our courses have three aspects: taught classes, homework and on-line study. The direct method enables you to master the four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. The direct method allows us to reflect the natural way of communication.
Speak to learn - learn to speak
The direct method enables you to master the four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. The direct method allows us to reflect the natural way of communication.
When we analyse the basic assumptions of the direct method, which date back to the nineteenth century, we have a strong impression that its creators foresaw the age of computers and the Internet. You start with listening comprehension and later on go on to writing. This feature of the direct method makes it possible to implement it into an e-learning system.
The key principles of the direct method
- A natural way of learning
- Focus on communication
- Rapid learning of new words and grammar
- High efficiency
- E-learning and home study
- Question and answer format
- Students continuously involved during
NAVY School of English provides English classes in Swindon, UK. Learn with us: Direct Method stages 1-9, IELTS, Conversational English, Business English.
How is Direct Language Lab system different from other 'direct method' systems?
- Coursebooks produced by Direct Language Lab are modern – containing only up-to-date vocabulary and grammar adapted to present examination standards.
- English designed with Direct Method coursebooks include questions relating to current topics which are of interest to students.
- English designed with Direct Method coursebooks are updated on a regular basis. When working on subsequent editions, we pay utmost attention to verification of coursebooks both in terms of language and context validity.
- Coursebooks produced by Direct Language Lab have been created by a team of teachers with several years of experience in teaching by means of direct methods and they reflect long-term considerations concerning the range of material and the method of its implementation.
- All the levels of English designed with Direct Method coursebooks contain a wide range of questions ascribed to a group of words. This facilitates better acquisition of meanings of words and consolidation of their use in various contexts.
- English designed with Direct Method Coursebooks reflect a practical approach to English grammar. The coursebooks contain clear grammatical explanations – short, practical and easy to understand.
- English designed with Direct Method Coursebooks enrich the direct method with additional elements such as:
- additional grammar lessons facilitating better understanding and consolidation of grammar material which is first introduced in an oral form,
- exercises and communication sections thanks to which students learn how to ask questions and practise vocabulary and structures which are useful in terms of communication.
- Specifically for English coursebooks, Direct Language Lab has designed an Internet platform where every user can find even more attractive exercises, making use of over 100 additional hours of learning.